Thanks for visiting the Refresh Community!
If your looking to get your very own copy of my delicious cookbooks delivered right to your door visit The Mediterranean Refresh Collection!
This recipe is in The Mediterranean Refresh: Meals on a Budget
And don't forget the most important parts!
Garlic Basil Sausage Farrotto
The result is a whole grain version of one of my favorite dishes, made with farro instead of traditional rice, and used as a round meal with added sausage. Each bite is usually creamy and crispy thanks to the fresh juice of garlic, basil and lemon.
2 Cups Farro
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
¹⁄³ Small onion, cut into cubes
4 Chopped cloves of garlic
Freshly ground black pepper
½ Cup Dry white wine
4 Cups Chicken broth with low sodium content, heated over low heat
1 ½ Pounds Your choice of sausage
1 Cup Lightly chopped fresh basil leaves
3 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Place the farro in a large bowl and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the farro softens for 20 to 30 minutes but bites firmly. Then drain.
- Heat the oil over medium heat until it shimmers, using the same pan. Add the onions and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until they are soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the farro with a pinch of salt and a generous amount of ground pepper.
- Add the wine and deglaze the bottom of the bowl. Stir with wooden spoon for 1 minute until everything has evaporated.
- Add the lukewarm broth and simmer until the farro has absorbed almost all of the broth. Continue adding the broth and stir until it’s incorporated and until the farro is creamy, a total of 8 to 10 minutes. At this point, you should have at least half a cup of hot soup.
- Season the sausage with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Keep stirring until the sausage becomes caramelized on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes. If needed, add more broth to your desired texture and taste. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil, butter and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Fat: 13.7 g
Carbohydrates: 46.2 g
Fiber: 6.7 g
Protein: 27.2 g
In support of keeping all these amazing recipes going each day we kindly ask that you check out some of the products you have seen today!
We would greatly appreciate a share to your friends!
Happy Cooking, Stay Safe, and Enjoy!