Thanks for visiting the Refresh Community!
If your looking to get your very own copy of my delicious cookbooks delivered right to your door visit The Mediterranean Refresh Collection
This recipe is in The Mediterranean Refresh: Meals on a Budget
And don't forget the most important parts!
Hot Bulgur and Lentil Salad with Grilled Shrimp
I have found it best to put the shrimp pan into the oven to cook while the bulgur cooks. This technique of roasting, where you get all the flavor of the shrimp because it doesn’t cook in water, is so simple that is one of the reasons why I always try to have a bag of shrimp in my freezer (I thaw the shrimp before grilling them). Although I like this warm salad, leftovers make an excellent lunch for work the next day.
3 Tbsp. Olive oil, divided
½ Medium onion, finely chopped
1 Tsp. Salt, plus more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1 Cup Dried green, brown or french lentils
1 Cup Chicken or vegetable broth
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Amoroso tomatoes
½ Cup Bulgur
1 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar, and more if necessary
2 Pounds Large shrimp, uncooked, peeled and minced
¹⁄³ Cup Fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Place the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400° F.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the onion and ¼ teaspoon salt, season with pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 8 minutes.
- To the onion and oil, add the lentils and stir. Add the broth and water and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the lentils are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cut the red peppers into small cubes.
- When the lentils are ready, remove them from the heat and add the peppers and bulgur. Cover and set aside until the bulgur softens, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, grill the shrimp.
- Place the shrimp on a baking sheet, cover with the tablespoon of remaining oil, season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a straight line and cook until cloudy and cooked throughout, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain any excess liquid from the bulgur and lentils. Add the vinegar and parsley; taste; and add salt, pepper, and more vinegar as needed. Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with grilled shrimp and tomatoes.
Fat: 12.2 g
Carbohydrates: 48.2 g
Fiber: 8.2 g
Protein: 30.0 g
In support of keeping all these amazing recipes going each day we kindly ask that you check out some of the products you have seen today!
We would greatly appreciate a share to your friends!
Happy Cooking, Stay Safe, and Enjoy!